Sunday 1 September 2013

Tournament Experiences:

Preface

Hi guys, sorry it's been so long since I've done a post. I've had a hectic university study load at the moment. Hopefully you didn't miss me too much, or at all as the case may be. Anyway, about two weeks ago, over august 17 and 18th, I played in a regional (I hope that's the right word. It certainly wasn't local.) tournament, with about 56 players, split up into teams of four. My team and I - "Roll Sixes and Win" came seventh (out of 14 teams), I believe, although it was an uphill struggle for most of the games. This tournament is often heralded as one of the most competitive in my City, so my team and I were fairly happy to place as well as we did. 

Of course, I ran my Farsight bomb and I found a few problems it encountered against the more experienced players, and a few things that were exceptionally useful that I hadn't considered until one or two very friendly opponents pointed them out to me.

Tournament Etiquette

I have read a lot about how to behave in preparing for and attending a tournament. Partially so that I'll be taken seriously as an opponent, but also because when I try to become a part of a new form of competitive play, I like to blend into the existing strictures on behaviour. A lot of things stressed the importance of having all your equipment, knowing your rules and being transparent about rules queries and the niche rules of your army. That last one came up a lot, but I'll get to that later. Another interesting one that doesn't come up so often, but when we hear about it we take it for granted is the personal  hygiene side of things. While no one I played smelled particularly bad, a hall with 60 men who've been playing with toy soldiers is going to stink in the afternoon when you pack up. So, I found that it was really unnerving when someone smelled particularly bad. (I apologise if I was one of those people, my opponents!) 

Atmosphere

I found that the tournament had a very laid back atmosphere. Opponents had a good time, there was that geeky, hearty laugh abounding all the time and for the most part, rules disputes were resolved quickly. There was only one instance where my team needed a TO and it actually resolved itself before the TO got there. On that note - the Organisers - a Local Store called Alpha Hobbies - were very accessible when there was a problem with my list. 

I also found that the tournament pulled out all the stops for its players. While we had to pay for food (but, who expects a lunch when outside of home?), they were excellent about making sure every table had chairs for players to sit at, as well as providing enough terrain to make each table suitable to play on. 

Overall, my 5-game, $10 per-game experience was a positive one. IF you're a brisbane Local and haven't looked into Titans of War yet, I seriously suggest you do - it was well worth the time and the money put into it. My only regret, is that aganst a certain Daemons player, I forgot I had And they shall know no fear and allowed him to sweep my farsight bomb.

Personal Results

I found this tournament to be a big eye-opener to what my list can and cannot deal with.  I really struggled with Daemons, although I'm yet to figure out if this is because I'm incapable of dealing with them, or just that I'm not experienced enough in fighting daemons to actually understand what needs to die.

I played five games, two losses and three victories.Both losses against Daemons armies, neither of which I had had anywhere near enough experience playing against.

My victories were a major victory of 18-2 against Necrons - including a daring 39" Hit and run/Gate of Infinity/thrust move in my last turn to ensure my opponent could not hold an objective.

My second was a major victory of 14-6, but one where I was down to 5 scouts and 3 fire warriors and held two objectives to my opponent's one. (I failed to kill their crimson hunter, 6 war walkers or their  ranger team.) 

My final victory was a total victory of 19-1, where if the game had gone on a turn longer, it'd have been game on table. My opponent had 35 points left at the end of the game. 

Of all my games, the first was the most informative - I was thrown under the bus against a ranked australian player, my second was the most evenly matched - my opponent was me but running necrons, my third opponent was my biggest mistakes - not dealing with his war-walkers more swiftly. my fourth game, was one forgotten rule which cost me the game and my fifth, well, this was simply a terrible matchup for my opponent. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

IF you have any questions you'd like to ask, be sure to post them below. If your question is one you'd like to keep private, be sure to e-mail me at diaord@hotmail.com or send a PM to Scipio Africanus.

I do appreciate comments and viewership is important to me. I will endeavour to interact with users if they seek me out.